mel.social is a small mastodon instance aimed primarily at Melbourne and Victoria based people who want a safe digital space to communicate and be creative. members are encouraged to communication and share their work as long as it adheres to our Code of Conduct
Please make sure you've familiarised yourself with our Code of Conduct before signing up and if our rules aren't to your liking then there are many other instances that may be better suited to your needs.
As a user of mel.social, you agree to uphold an environment of respect and empathy for all users.
Any conduct that is deemed oppressive is grounds for removal from mel.social. Any language or action that expresses, reinforces, upholds or sympathises with any form of systemic social domination is considered oppressive and is grounds for removal at any level deemed appropriate by the Admin.
Pornography, violence, and fast-blinking images/content should not be used as a profile photo and should always be posted with a "NSFW" tag/content warning.
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in a ban from mel.social:
- Unapproved bots (for approval, please contact @ajfisher)
- Untagged pornography and sexually explicit content
- Untagged gore and graphic violence
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in a ban from mel.social:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
- Conduct promoting the ideology of National Socialism
- Promoting the oppression of any group based on gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, or nationality.
Any conduct intended to stalk, harass, or intimidate other users, or to impede other users from utilising the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions is forbidden and subject to punishment up to and including a ban from mel.social.
This can include, but is not limited to, the following behaviours:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment.
- Posting and/or disseminating a person's posts ("toots"), including screen captures or any other content without express permission.
- Intentionally posting or disseminating libel, slander, or other disinformation.
This Code of Conduct applies both to content on mel.social and to public spaces when an individual is representing mel.social or its community.
Reports of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behaviour may be made by using the report button. All reports will be reviewed and dealt with as soon as possible. Admins are obligated to maintain confidentiality with regard to the reporter of an incident.
The Admin reserves the right to revoke any user's content on or access to mel.social, at any time, for any reason.